Thursday, August 16, 2007

The People of Kazakhstan

Since our daughter will be from Kazakhstan, I would like to learn as much as I can about the place where she was born. From time to time, I will post certain tidbits of information that I hope will be interesting so that all of you can also learn a little bit about our daughter's birth country.

The lessons begin today!!! I obtained the info below from the U.S. Department of State Website.

The People of Kazakhstan

The majority of Kazakhstanis are ethnic Kazakh; other ethnic groups include Russian, Ukrainian, Uzbek, German, and Uyghur. Religions are Sunni Muslim, Russian Orthodox, Protestant, and other.

Language: Kazakhstan is a bilingual country. The Kazakh language has the status of the "state" language, while Russian is declared the "official" language. Russian is used routinely in business; 64.4% of the population speaks the Kazakh language.

Education is universal and mandatory through the secondary level, and the literacy rate is 98.4%.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I was just checking in hoping to see photos of your beautiful daughter. Any day now, huh? I bet you are not sleeping well and are on pins and needles every time that phone rings! We just sent our completed dossier off today for Logan. Yippee. I cannot wait to hear your baby news.
Good luck,
Stacey Milchman