Thursday, August 16, 2007

Spelling of Kazakhstan

A couple of posts ago I wondered, outloud to you all, why on the Map of Kazakhstan that I downloaded Kazakhstan was spelled without the "h". I received the response from one of my online friends and adoptive dad, Robertson! He and his wife, Michelle, recently adopted a gorgeous baby girl from Kazakhstan. This is what he had to say:

"Spelling Kazakhstan without the 'h' will be the first of many weird spellings you encounter! Kaz used the Arabic writing system until the 1917 revolution, and then started using Cyrillic. Now they're looking at switching to a Roman alphabet similar to one used in Turkey. English translated spelling is gonna suffer along the way!"

Thank you, Robertson, for educating us all ... I have a lot to learn about Kazakhstan!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She is beautiful. She looks like a very happy baby. We are so happy that Madi looks so healthy and beautiful. I been on goggle for almost 2 hours trying to get on my account but forgot my password. So I got a new password. Also please send me you e-mail address, I can't find it. Tell Jose he is doing a beautiful job with the laundry. Give Madi a BIG KISS from us, I can't wait to meet her. Love you, Cary